Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Day two of renovation


I am so very nervous. We decided to take the leap and paint the kitchen cabinets. O_O
While I am quite excited for it, I am also nervous as hell that I will monumentally screw them up. The thing that my husband finds so amusing about this is I actually am an artist. I paint. I love to paint all the time… I just have never taken on a project like this before.
Not to mention the biggest home renovation we have done is patch, texture and paint a wall. Fix some crown molding,.. So nothing too big

The decision on whether to really completely change the cabinet look was tossed around quite a bit, but really was finalized when we found out we had to remove the cabinets in order to get rid of the horrid wallpaper. Mind you, this wall paper was damn near falling off the walls on its own.
They had put the cabinets up after the wall paper, and with the wooden pieces behind the cabinets, there was no way it would not be noticeable if we left it behind there. So cabinets are all pretty much removed but one right now.

I would like to mention that I do actually like the cabinets as they are. I like the look of natural wood. I just think it is so amazing we can actually change things in our home that we should take advantage of it and go a little outside our comfort zones to make it our own. I like wood floors and wood cabinets, though painting the cabinets will open up so many more options when we go to change flooring in the years to come. We do actually plan on putting in wood or pergo flooring.

Ok, back to the current.

Washed half of the hanging cabinets in addition to the walls that will soon be painted. I got one of the larger ones double primed. I was not happy with a single coat of primer. I also got 75% of another one single coat primed so far. I will have to get photos of the painting process tomorrow.

I am using this blogs post for inspiration for the cabinets. http://porchswingsnhoneysuckle.blogspot.com/2013/02/paint-and-glaze-cabinet-tutorial.html

Mine will be the same basic idea, though I am not using a stark white for the base. Since my glaze is antique, and not the same tone as hers, I thought blending might be easier if there was already a slight bit of color to the base.

I am lucky enough to have great friends who have let me borrow some tools and a ladder. My sister, brother, and my sisters boyfriend are being awesome with helping tear down and clean things. I can’t imagine how we could even begin to do all of this without  the extra help. There is absolutely no way we could have done anything to the kitchen without them.

We decided we cannot take down the second layer of wallpaper with the way it was put up without having to re-drywall the whole kitchen. Since it is already sealed, we decided we would patch it, spray texture as planned, and then paint over it instead. Not the ideal situation but pretty much the only option at this point.

For the cabinets I recommend using a faster method than a brush and roller. I am sure a sprayer would have been a million times faster. I am tempted to look into the prices of one for the final color coat before the glaze.

I still need to get the paint for the kitchen and part of the living room. That will be for another day.

For now here are some photos of what we have done so far, minus the cabinet painting progress.

IMAG4773IMAG4775
My handsome man tackling that wallpaper like a boss. Ok, so in reality anyone who breathed on it could probably remove it, but that is not the point.

IMAG4776IMAG4777
Ugly wallpaper number 3.. There was a total of 3 different wall paper styles. Don’t ask me what they were thinking.

IMAG4778
All removed except for the cabinets and what is behind them.

IMAG4779IMAG4781
Look at that mess! Would you believe me if I told you we swept it up into a snow shovel because we could not find the dust pan? Yea, we can be a little crazy.

IMAG4784IMAG4783 
My sister and her boyfriend are in the above photos. I would say they are helping, but I don’t know if this counts as my sister helping haha. She was actually a big help but I had to say that anyways.

IMAG4780
As you can see the separation between the wall and the cabinets shows the ugly wallpaper.

We started a bit later today than we had hoped to. We normally work late nights so our sleep schedules are much different. We wanted to start around 3pm but we really only picked a few things out and actually got started much later than that :/ Yea… We are new to this. It is a learning curve. We will get it down though and it will be amazing sauce when finished!

It has been a long day. Did not get done until about 11pm. I am sore and tired but it is so worth it. Actually feeling like I am getting more things done in the day than the day before. I am still nervous but really excited to see how it all comes out. To go from not decorating our rentals aside from the mantle really… to decorating and painting… It is a huge change and a much needed one at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment