Thursday, June 5, 2014

Day five of the renovation


Sadly this post will not have any photos due to leaving my phone at the new house accidentally.

So the boys got to the house early and got to the spray texture and second coating of paint. I showed up a few hours with food.

The first thought upon waking was one of “Oh shit…” We left the cabinets out back, no worries right? Well being that it is a new house we did not think to check and make sure the sprinkler system was off… For some reason when I woke this morning that was the first worry I had.
I called the boys and they confirmed they did in fact run but they were mostly ok and drying out. Basically upon inspection I just need to sand and repaint a few cabinets in a couple of spots. Honestly, if that is all that happens, I am fine. It is an easy fix and thankfully did not happen after the glaze will be put on.
Because of this little snag though, it did mean that the glaze is put on hold for today. I instead went to priming the lower cabinet drawers. I  got all but some of the doors done and the pantry. I will need to tape off and spray the actual unit the doors go into and the counter sits on after we finish painting the kitchen. We will let the paint dry and then tape it all up.

I used the sprayer to put the base primer on the drawers this time and boy does it really make things easier. The mask on the other hand feels impossible to breathe through :/
I would spray about 4 of them in the laundry room with a drop cloth underneath. They would take about 20 minutes to dry to the touch, then I would move the mostly dried ones onto the tarp in the bedroom, so I could lay out the next set to be primed.
I think I primed like 8 drawers? I honestly did not count so I am not sure.

The walls are looking so much better now with even just the first coat of the tea bag (light greenish) on the front wall. The previous color was a white with pink undertones. Yes, our favorite color is green if you did not realize this by now. We have always known we would want green walls.

All the utilities will be turned off tomorrow so we will have to get them turned on shortly after waking.

We keep finding things in the house that make us go “What the fuck were these people thinking doing it this way?!” but thankfully either it is easily fixed, or is mostly cosmetic.
Like for instance, painting over a patched up wall that every other area has spray texture on… So you have this big palm sized flat surface on a textured wall. Yea we fixed that. I would say they just didn’t care, but really I just don’t think they knew what they were doing. Funny thing is we barely know what we are doing and can do it a million times better. I guess some people have better beginners luck than others? Or maybe they did not bother to ask anyone at the store how to do it and what is needed.

One thing I have noticed when painting the walls is with the first coat I am freaking out that I made the wrong choice on wall color. With the first green, it looked like horrible green salmon camo when it was drying. Hard for anyone not to freak out a little. The second coat really made all the difference. Not to mention it is completely worth it for the $6 or whatever extra dollars for the paint and primer mix. I would not use anything else for this job. I chose satin for the paint type. Satin, as described to me is between a semi gloss and a matte. Matte being hardest to clean.

I am sure the tea bag will look exponentially better once the second coat is on there. I will say it is a little annoying that whoever painted the house did not know how to edge or use painters tape… I may have to go over some of the crown molding with white to fix some areas they got globs on.

We did not get into painting the kitchen today but it will happen tomorrow.  Still a lot that needs to be done but we are making good progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment