Tuesday, July 22, 2014

13 bean update


So the experiment is going amazingly well.
This was taken just a few days after I put them in my germination station.

This was taken today.

In the first one, the split peas and chickpeas had not sprouted. In the second they are barely starting to show signs of roots.

I will be putting these in the ground shortly, maybe even today.

IMAG4982IMAG4987IMAG4988IMAG4992IMAG4990IMAG4991IMAG4989

In my kitchen I have cabinets with side shelves near the kitchen sink window. The one on the right is where I have been doing my tomato seed saving. On the left is where my bok choy and onion experiments have been taking place. On the windowsil itself I have my avocado tree, ginger plants, bok choy, and watercress.

I also included a photo of the hairy little dried tomato seeds from my speckled roma (Also pictured above)

Today I finished the fermentation process for more gardeners delight and my green zebra. I started the process for my orange strawberry tomato.

I also picked a few more common mallow flowers for drying.
As I was picking them and watering my garden, I think I am seeing the first signs of carrot emerging. It gets so dry during the day I was worried the ground may not be staying moist enough even with watering twice a day. I guess I was wrong. I like being wrong on that one.

The picture on the middle right is my new drying rack set up. I don’t know why I had not thought to use a door coat rack for drying herbs. I have mint drying on it right now.

In other news… I my winter tonic is ready and works amazingly well. I tested out this batch when I started to feel a tickle and a few coughs happening, took a little, and have been great since. I will be making another batch of this here in the near future.

I also decided to make my own almond milk recently. I think it came out wonderful and works great for my protein shakes.
It took 1/4lb (1c) of almonds. At $5.88 a lb that put it at $1.47
It is suggested to use two cups of water, though I ended up using 3-4. We will say 3.
So divide that by 3 and it ended up being $0.49 a serving. Divided by 4 it is $0.37
It costs about the same per serving as buying almond breeze from winco but without any added ingredients.
I am going to try it with one of the unsalted nut mixes just because I am curious… I will let you guys know if it is any good.

This is the link to the site I used for making almond milk:
How to make almond milk at home

No comments:

Post a Comment